WHAT'S NEW?
Loading...

Cooper's Brewery, Sparkling Ale - Hyped Hops.

Coopers Brewery, Sparkling Ale - Living up to it's reputation?


Cooper's Brewery would be a name familiar to everybody who enjoys a micro-brew or two. These Australian brewers have made their beers common-place in off-licences and bars located half-way around the world. There must be good reason for this.
A look online suggests high-quality produce is propelling this brewer towards the main-stream, while the drunken handful of times I've come across Cooper's in the past have all been positive.
So naturally I was anticipating this more sobering encounter.

Matching expectations?

The first sip was good, very good, the mild floral scent was matched by an equally mild, yet fruity, flavour, a welcoming treat for my pallet. Oh, how I wish this lasted.
The after-taste hits you hard and holds no prisoners. It somehow manages to be a complete contradiction from the original taste; a terribly bitter assault which attacks the taste-buds which have just opened up for something altogether more sweet. In itself, the after-taste wouldn't be all that bad, if you enjoy bitter beers, but when teamed up with such a pleasant taste, it becomes like an unwanted party-guest that you just get rid of.
The texture itself is quiet light & lends itself well to the base flavour. Unfortunately this only increases the power of the bitter after-taste.
Like any beer, the longer it stayed standing, the less enjoyable it became. All flavour had virtually evaporated by the time I was two thirds through the bottle. Whether this was something to do with the way in which the ale was brewed, or because the after-taste made me sip rather than gulp this down, I'm not quite sure; but one that I am sure of, is that this became about as appetising as toilet-water as the mls disappeared. 

Verdict.

I don't think you'll need a hint to know what I thought about this one.

3/10. A supremely disappointing experience that I . While not entirely undrinkable to begin with, it slowly drifts in that direction. Flabbergasted at how it has created the reputation which it holds, particularly as I recall a few decent sips on this in the past. Perhaps, it was just bad batch or perhaps it could be something which is best enjoyed when already in a drunken haze, I don't know. But for all the hype, Cooper's Brewery Sparkling Ale is not something I'd clear out fridge space for.

Price: €2.25 - Molloy's Liquor Store.

0 comments:

Post a Comment